Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4.4 Power Edition

2010-03-12 17:14:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4.4 Power Edition
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:12:20 -0600
So from my BB...

20 drives X 120MB/s = 2400MB/s

4000mbps/8 = 500MB/s

2400MB/s / 500MB/s = 4.8 ports and I would safely hedge that by 30% at least.

HMM...  You're right 5x4gb ports I think I started the math on 2g
fabrics and recalced badly for 4gb fabrics.

I'm just getting to the point of make as many drives as you need to
achieve your necessary bandwidth result and functionality.

One important point is to make sure you keep your VTL tapes tiny (we
use 100gb) because if you're writing you can't be reading those tapes.

Alec

On 3/12/10, brerrabbit <networker-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> anacreo wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Let's say theoretical max speed you'll get on your VTL is a very
>> generous 120MB/s...  You'd need 10 4gb HBA ports (with all paths
>> having discreet bandwidth) to drive that.
>>
>> Using a more typical 50MB/s average you'd need 4 4gb HBA ports worth
>> of discreet traffic to drive that bandwidth.
>> <big snip>
>>

> anacreo, can you walk me through your math?  120MBps is right at 1
> Gbps....why do I need 10x 4 Gb HBA's, which I calc out at 40x the input
> speed?
>
> I've got storage nodes that have a single 2Gb HBA's running to separate VTLs
> (albeit a different vendor) over a 2Gb SAN, and I see ~75 MBps traffic every
> day.
>
> I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just interested in a little elaboration
> of your calcs...
>
> Thanks!
> --brerrabbit

> |This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

> type
> this
> list. You can access the archives at

Sent from my mobile device