Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo reports wrong media type?

2010-02-28 16:15:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo reports wrong media type?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:13:53 -0500
Thierry FAIDHERBE wrote:
When you did import the volume into media db (scanenr -m), it used device media type of the device you used to scan the tape because networker is not aware which kind of media you are importing to. Normal behaviour for me.

I figured that was probably the case since the only NSR devices it knows about are the LTO-4s. I was hoping I could remove it (nsrmm -d) and then re-scan with '-m -t LTO Ultrium-3'.

If you want to have it known as a LTO-3 tape, you will have
to delete the tape record from mediadb (remove volume)
and retry scanner -m operation on a LTO-3 Type tape device.

Seems a shame that they force you to have to do that. What if it came from another, older server, and you no longer had one of those older drive types around anymore. It could be the case, too, that you wouldn't want to use a DR recover to recover that older database, so now, it's gonna think it's, say, an LTO-4, which means that any reports or queries you run using '-type' may not be accurate for these affected tapes.

George

HTH

Th