Networker

[Networker] Why is scanner so slow?

2010-02-26 18:08:02
Subject: [Networker] Why is scanner so slow?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:05:50 -0500
Why does scanner have to recover the data to standard output just to rebuild the media database (-m) entry? This makes no immediate sense.

If I have a tape with, say, 10 GB total, and I run scanner as:

scanner -s server device

and it finishes generating a table of contents in one minute or so, why can't NW do the same thing when using the '-m' option to rebuild the media index? Why does it have to read the data to do that? I can see that maybe when using '-i'. What more information does it need to rebuild the media database entries than what you get back from the table of contents?

Seems that they ought to have a separate option if you're actually interested in literally pulling the data off the tape to redirect to uasm or something like that.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210