Networker

Re: [Networker] How to avoid license conflict between two servers?

2010-02-25 10:20:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to avoid license conflict between two servers?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:19:17 -0500
STANLEY R. HORWITZ wrote:
On 02 24, 2010, at 8:58 PM, George Sinclair wrote:

Hi,

We have a new test server operating under 30 day eval. Getting ready to put this into production soon. Still testing. We will be recovering the media database and resource database from our older current server (DR recover) in order to test some recoveries of older data and to run some queries against the media database to verify that it looks the same as on the older server.

The old server is still handling nightly backups until the testing has been completed on the new machine, however. Both servers have different host names, but the same client id (I made sure of that).

I'm concerned about the possibility that both servers could get shut down when the test server sees that it now has licenses assigned to the old server (as a result of recovering the old server's resource database). But I don't want to have to recreate all the NSR resources from scratch, though, and I don't really want to have to shut down the old server during our tests.

Questions:
1. Do we have to do the host transfer/affidavit immediately and get new keys even though we're not ready to go live just yet?

2. Can I avoid the license conflict issue by removing all the files on the new test server under /nsr/res/nsrdb that contain any enabler codes from the old server?

Just contact your EMC account manager to request whatever temporary license
enablers you need for the test server.

I'm still unclear on how that will resolve the fact that when we run the DR recover, we'll still have the old server's res database recovered as res.R. When we rename that to res, we'll still have the old server's licenses in there. We then add the new enablers, but it might be too late? I do want to recover the old server's res so I don't have to recreate all the resources from scratch.

Alternatively, if we add the temporary enablers before the DR, then they'll be under the current res directory, not res.R, so we won't have them when we do the rename, and then we're back in the same boat?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210