Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo size reporting when using compresasm?

2010-02-17 15:43:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo size reporting when using compresasm?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 09:41:32 +1300
On 18/02/2010, at 03:03 , David Gold-news wrote:

> Thanks for your thoughts. I think what threw me off is that the media
> database does include both server-side and client-side info--ssinsert versus
> savetime as a primary example--and I assumed that the man page would have
> noted "written to media".
>
> Your logic makes sense--this probably will have to be chalked up to unclear
> documentation. I have a ticket open, and will try to get at least a
> documentation bug opened for this.
>
> I've seen a lot of sites use backup reports for sizing--so this is probably
> something that has hit a lot of sites without them realizing it.
>
> Guess I'll go do the legwork of checking each system...

The problem as such is that it's effectively the client that reports (via the
save output to the server) the amount of data transferred ... and that's the
compressed size. I blogged about this a while ago at:

http://nsrd.info/blog/2009/09/30/client-side-compression-and-saveset-sizes/

The solution would be to somehow have the media database be updated to support
storing both the saveset size and the uncompressed data size.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise