Networker

Re: [Networker] Linux vs Windows

2010-02-17 04:38:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux vs Windows
From: Eric Fabulus <efabulus AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:37:05 +0000
Hi

I would like to advice against this move.

Two things you should consider :

* Windows 2008 is still not fully supported by EMC Networker and version 7.6
will not until the next 6 months I think.
* Some networker utilities still not work under Windows 64 bits like dasadmin

So this kind of move is at least risky for no clear advantage that I can see
because you can always install the management console on a Windows computer and
manage your networker server from there. You can even use the 7.6 management
console to manage an older version.

Kind regards

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:50:48 +0530
> From: punit.suryawanshi AT GMAIL DOT COM
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Linux vs Windows
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>
> Lunix / Unix-
> You can easily and conveniently script / automate Networker in Unix / Linux.
> Managing backup hardware is relatively easy in Linux, Windows might require
> reboot most of the times.
>
> It is always a debate but we I have seen Networker giving less trouble on
> Linux / Unix.
>
> Windows - Yes, easy to manage + if you have expertise over Windows and are
> going to manage this server for long, you have an advantage.
>
> -Punit
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Freddy Enslin <freddye AT demanddata.co DOT
> za>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > Was hoping somebody could shed some light. I have a client who wants to
> > move his Networker 7.5.1 server from a Linux platform to a Windows
> > platform and he is asking me to tell him what the benefits are.
> >
> > He is currently running on Red Hat x86 (I assume RHEL 4) and wants to
> > move to Win 2008 R2 x64 and Networker 7.6. I have always run Networker
> > server on a Windows platform so I cannot really comment on the benefits
> > going from Linux to Windows.
> >

> > Any comments would be appreciated
> >

> > Freddy Enslin
> >

> > To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu
> > and type
> > "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to
> > networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
> > this
> > list. You can access the archives at
> > http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or
> > via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER
> >

> --
> Regards,
>
> Punitsingh Suryawanshi
> Service Delivery Consultant
> HP,Bangalore, India
> +91 966-337-5500
> +91 937-299-7998

> this list. You can access the archives at

Nouveau Windows 7 : Trouvez le PC qui vous convient. En savoir plus.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop