Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo size reporting when using compresasm?

2010-02-16 16:07:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo size reporting when using compresasm?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:04:31 +0000
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:08:42AM -0500, David Gold-news wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been doing some sizing analysis, and have noticed that mminfo
> reports show the amount written to a device (AFTD, in this case),
> rather than the amount of source data.
>
> So when using compressasm, my 80GB full backups is reported as 20GB
> via mminfo.

Yup.  That's what the server sees.

> What seems odd is that the description of totalsize from the man
> page is "The total save set size," which implies source data, not
> compressed data.

I'd say that "save set" is an overloaded term and may mean different
things in different contexts, and adding "size" on the end doesn't make
it much clearer.

However, mminfo is reporting on things in a server-centric way.  The
size represents the amount of data read from the client and written to a
device (assuming no server-side compression).  Anything the client does
(compression, encryption, corruption, etc.) is hidden.

> Does anyone know if that is the expected output, and if so, anyone
> have any ideas about workarounds?

You'd have to have some way of asking the client how big the source is.
I don't know any way to query the Networker client and get that as a
definitive quantity for that particular session (rather than as an
(-E)stimate).  If you didn't have to worry about excludes and such, I
would be tempted to gather that data outside of Networker (ssh/df or
similar).

--
Darren