Networker

[Networker] How to avoid license issues when transferring host?

2010-02-05 15:41:46
Subject: [Networker] How to avoid license issues when transferring host?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:39:34 -0500
We have a new NW eval copy installed on a Linux box. I can use mmrecov to recover bootstrap from old server (different hostid, different ip, different host name, same client id). However, I also need the resource database from old server as I don't want to have to manually recreate all the groups, scheduled, NSR client resources, etc., although I could if necessary.

My concern is not the media database but the res. After running mmrecov, I will have res.R. Generally, I would stop NW, rename res.R to res and simply restart. BUT, in this case, the res.R is coming from the old server which has a different set of licenses (permanent). Therefore, if I restart NW, won't the eval server then see those old licenses and possibly weird out, disable itself and/or maybe even cause the old server to disable?

Both hosts have different host names, no DNS conflicts. I did make the new eval server the same client id as old server as I know that can be a bone of contention when running mmrecov.

Question:
1. I was thinking that before restarting NW, I would look under res.R/nsrdb/00, 01, 02 ... 09 for any files containing the enabler codes from the old server and then delete those and then re-start NW. The old resources should be supported, without requiring those licenses, via the eval 30-day copy.

Concern:
Will this work and thus prevent any mischief? I know that the eval 30 day license will change to 10-15 days once mmrecov has been run?

Question:
2. What about the fact that any previous resources from the eval server will now be gone as soon as res.R is renamed to res?

Concern:
I guess I'll need to recreate the storage node/library config for the eval server, etc. as the eval server's storage node resource isn't known to the old server. That's not too painful, and with the exception of the eval server name and its storage node, all the clients are the same as on the old server. BUT the NSR client resource for the eval server will get recreated when I restart NW, and it will get assigned a new client id. The previous NSR client resource will be gone, following the renaming of res.R to res, and that resource was the one that had to have the same client id for mmrecov to work. The NSR client resource for the old server will also be there and will have a different client id, but maybe at that point its moot since we now have all the old resources?

I don't care about recovering data from the old server to the new server. We will just back that up as a separate client.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair