Networker

Re: [Networker] inquire shows //./Tape instead of //./Tape#

2010-01-29 13:47:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] inquire shows //./Tape instead of //./Tape#
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:45:41 -0500
You probably have a hardware problem but I strongly recommend you fix a known
issue within windows. Persistent Binding is something from the fiber channel
world, and it "works" under Windows, but it isn't sufficient to keep the
devices from being renamed or reordered. There is another layer in windows
called the Windows Plug And Play Driver that creates the device names like
\\.\Tape0. It is not deterministic and can reorder on a reboot. For tape
devices, the solution is to add "persistence" to that driver by:

When you set the Persistence registry entry to 1, symbolic names that are used
by the Plug and Play feature in Windows Server 2003 are persistent. If you set
the Persistence registry entry to 0 (zero), or if you remove the Persistence
registry entry (the default), symbolic names are not persistent.

To enable the fix, follow these steps:

   1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
   2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Tape
   3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
   4. Type Persistence, and then press ENTER.
   5. Right-click the Persistence registry entry, and then click Modify.
   6. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
   7. Quit Registry Editor.
   8. Restart the computer.

After the change your devices will be named //./TapeXXXX where XXXX is based on
their serial/WWN and will always be consistent. I'd do that immediately and
then see if the problem goes away. It could be a bug in the Plug And Play driver

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139