Networker

[Networker] Upgrade Report & Problems - 7.1.3 to 7.4.4 (Solaris Sparc)

2010-01-27 05:10:41
Subject: [Networker] Upgrade Report & Problems - 7.1.3 to 7.4.4 (Solaris Sparc)
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 05:08:56 -0500
Over the New Years weekend I upgraded our backup environment from Sun EBS 7.1.3
to 7.4.4 (removing AlphaStor in the process *cheer*).

This first required a chassis upgrade on the Server from an E450 to a T2000,
which (though long and tedious, due to migrating ~40 TB of Veritas VxFS disk)
went off smooth.

EBS/Networker upgrade went off OK; Straight install of the new software after
copying over /nsr.  NMC was placed on our syslog monitor host (recently
upgraded from an Ultra-2 to a V240), and I've been happy with that result.
jobsd had its settings tweaked as well, which has prevented issues from that
front.

I've now spent the past 3.5 weeks learning again how to 'read' the backup
environment, and have questions with what I'm seeing:

1) Our primary error at this point is messages like the below:

2495 01/19/10  1:05:54 AM  nsrd Impersonation was requested by:
"SYSTEM@w2ksql01", but the user does not have enough privileges to impersonate.

Though some clients revert to oldauth and backup, some do not backup after
reverting (and Networker silently removes the savesets from group, so I still
have successes).  There are no certificates on file in the client config.

This appears specific to Windows hosts, most of which are on some variant of
the 7.2.x client.  I'm working on an upgrade schedule for these, but will take
time.

2) An error that concerns me more is this (from our cloning script log):

11274 01/16/10 00:30:04  ansrd ansrd_clone FAILED: errnum is 5001 and errstr is
saveset with ssid 72433866 could not be retrieved from the Media database. The
error is 'authentication type 0 not adequate'.

I've tracked this down on the list, found the 'normal' fix for tapes (nsrjb
-HHEvvv) and still looking for a good time to run this - it does not happen
often.  However, I've had this on adv_file savesets as well!  Thankfully in
almost all of those cases, a later pass on our Disk Cloning script has caught
the rouge saveset.  I'm looking for suggestions on how to trap this error for
our tape cloning script.

These are, so far, the only major issues I've encountered with the upgrade.
I've run into a few others, but they're mostly related to tweaking the
environment to a much faster Server.

Thanks in advance,
--TSK

Tim Kimball