Networker

[Networker] Cloning performance - Quantum VTL to LTO4 tape

2010-01-08 15:01:56
Subject: [Networker] Cloning performance - Quantum VTL to LTO4 tape
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:00:43 -0500
0grobinson wrote:
> I am cloning from a Quantum DXI7500 to three LTO4 drives using three
> instances of nsrclone running across two storage nodes but my throughput is
> averaging approximately 40-MBPS per drive.
> <snip>

What kind of connectivity details can you relay?

I'm cloning from various models of EMC Disk Libraries to a Quantum i2k with
LTO3 drives and see sustained speeds between 100 MB/s and 120 MB/s, but then
sometimes I see 10-15 MB/s.

The reason, as every consultant will tell you, is it depends.  For example, if
your multiple instances of nsrclone are trying to read virtual tapes that are
on the same RAID group (or equivalent), then you're going to get lower
performance than if they are on widely different RAID groups.  That's just one
example, there are tons of others.   Give us some more details and maybe
something will leap out.

-- brerrabbit