Networker

Re: [Networker] VSS System Fileset

2010-01-04 11:54:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] VSS System Fileset
From: Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:53:46 -0500
Werth, Dave wrote:
We are running Networker 7.5.1 on Windows 2003 R2. We have one Windows 2008 client, the rest are mostly W2K or W2K3 (with one
Solaris 7 system). On the W2K8 system the VSS System Fileset backs up
at level "full" while on the others the level is "skip". Every night
the size of the VSS System Fileset backup on the W2K8 system is
around 11 GB. Is this normal, it seems excessive to me. The total
used space on the C drive is around 35 GB.
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Dave

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon

Dave,

We have the exact same problem here. And our Windows Server Support Team has a mandate to upgrade our world to Windows Server 2008. Given that they will be upgrading about 150 clients from Windows 2003, this is a huge problem. This will translate into an extra 1.65 TB of data for us every day, just from the VSS System Fileset.

We have tried everything we could over the last few months to reduce the size of this backup, with no success. Clearly, Microsoft has made some bad choices with this new platform.

On top of this, the current EMC client does not work if you need to do a bare metal restore. What a mess....

Mark
--
Mark Davis
University of Western Ontario - ITS