Networker

Re: [Networker] query regarding rman backups and restores

2009-12-22 16:14:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] query regarding rman backups and restores
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:11:13 +1100
Hi Deepak,

On 23/12/2009, at 05:41 , deepak wrote:

> I am newbie to backup and storage domain and trying the understand certain
> concept of rman backup.
>
> 1) What is the difference between a hot backup and cold backup ?

A hot backup is one where the database is backed up while it is active and
available for use. A cold backup, on the other hand, is a backup with the
database completely shutdown and unavailable.

Cold backups allow for the "easiest" recovery process, but at a disadvantage
that (a) you've got the database shutdown for the entire backup window and (b)
depending on the database, you may not be able to do a point in time recovery
from a cold backup - you can recover only to the point it was backed up.

> 2) how rman figures out that the given backup file belongs to which datafile,
> tablespace or database.

Being an Oracle supplied tool, I can't comment on how RMAN works through the
mappings, but it does.

As far as its relationship with NetWorker goes, you'll either store backup
details in the control files of the database being backed up, or you'll use a
recovery catalogue database. In either instance though, RMAN stores details
which, via the NetWorker supplied API (as part of the Oracle module) that
allows mapping between the RMAN backup details and NetWorker savesets, so that
it knows which savesets to request for recovery purposes.

> 3) How it maps the rman blocks with the actual datafile blocks while
> restoring.

RMAN will do a standard recover/restore process - pulling backup the
datafiles/archive logs/etc required for a recovery, then rolling forward
logs/etc to achieve consistency in the recovered files.

Cheers,

Preston de Guise.

--
Preston de Guise