Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules

2009-12-14 11:25:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker integrated Avamar de-dup schedules
From: Aaron Sakowski <dirtrin AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:21:36 -0500
We are also having problems with space utilization on the AFTD.  Since we
are running NetWorker 7.4.2, and Avamar 4.0.x, the windows SYSTEM save sets
do not de-duplicate.  I find that 70-75% of the data on the AFTD is from
this data.  I am working on getting our NetWorker/Avamar environment up to
7.5.1/4.1.x.  With Avamar 4.1.x, the SYSTEM save sets should de-duplicate
and that data should write to the Avamar data store.

The NetWorker indexes also use up some space locally.  There are a couple of
solutions to this.  One thought I had was to create two AFTDs, one for
indexes and one for everything else.  This will help physically organize
data to help track space utilization and, if necessary, manually delete
data.  Another thought is to have a local tape drive/library just for

Our solution is to have the save set browse policy set to 30 days.  Our
retention policy is 90 days.  So, the index backups recycle off the AFTD
sooner than a most of our other save sets.