Networker

Re: [Networker] Creating fake \\.\TapeX devices in Wintel

2009-12-11 17:04:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Creating fake \\.\TapeX devices in Wintel
From: Howie Jock <Jock.Howie AT NZPOST.CO DOT NZ>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:02:50 +1300
Ted

I don't think your problems are with the OS, so fake Wintel devices
won't do it for you. jbconfig is interrogating your Dell directly.

Here are your options as I see them (and I assume thee are reasons why
the first two aren't immediately possible) :

* Replace the faulty drives asap
* Pull the faulty drives out and replace them with the blanking sleds
that I expect came with your Dell136T, or otherwise complete the SCSI
chain termination
* Pull the faulty drives and reorder your drives so that the two good
ones come up as elements 254 & 255, and the faulty ones as 256 & 257.
This lets jbconfig include the faulty units but you can then disable
them in Networker and carry on. I ran an IBM3583 with a couple of dead
drives OK like this for its last six months, saved repairing an
end-of-life unit in these cash-strapped times ...

Regards

Jock Howie