Networker

Re: [Networker] Bar Code reader on drive?

2009-12-08 12:27:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bar Code reader on drive?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:24:47 -0500
Conrad Macina wrote:
A STK library with four drives requires five connections to the server, one
for each drive and one for the robot. A Quantum library, on the other hand,

Thanks, Conrad. I hadn't considered this, and that makes sense, but our STK has the picker daisy-chained to drive 1. Each of the other drives (drives 2-8) has its own separate connection via dual-channel HBAs, so two drives will share the same HBA, but each on its own channel. There's a separate SCSI cable connecting each drive to the respective channel.

only would require four connections because the robot connects through one
of the drives. That's why loaderinfo shows "No" for all the drives in an STK
library and "Yes" for one drive in a Quantum -- that's the drive through
which the robot connects.

Drives 1-2 on the Quantum (M1800; two M1500s stack linked) are daisy chained, and it appears that the library itself is also connected to this and then connects via SCSI cable to channel 1 on a single dual-channel HBA. Drives 3-4 are likewise daisy-chained to each other and then connect via SCSI cable to the second channel on that same card. I would think, therefore, that the first drive (/dev/sg5; /dev/nst0) would be the one that would be set to 'Yes', and drives 3-4 (/dev/sg6-sg8; /dev/nst1-3) would be set to 'No'. Instead, it's the other way around?

George

HTH,

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:17:10 -0500, George Sinclair