Networker

[Networker] Anyone ever seen this?

2009-12-07 17:56:30
Subject: [Networker] Anyone ever seen this?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:53:23 -0600
Situation ---

Networker 7.2 (old, I know, but we're upgrading it ASAP) on Solaris.

Library with 6 drives, all LVD SCSI, no fibre:
-- Two are cloning (writing)
-- Two are reading (for cloning)
-- One is disabled (/dev/rmt/4ubn, defective, to be replaced when cloning
is done)
-- One is unloaded and available (/dev/rmt/5ubn)

I had to open the library door to swap in a tape for a restore from a
while back, closed it, library came back online, etc. (I've done this many
times before).
I ran 'nsrjb -j libname -I -S 40' to inventory the swapped slot.

It said, "/dev/rmt/4ubn is disabled", etc., and returned. No joke! It's
been that way for a few days, with a couple of Networker stops/starts in
the meantime.

I ran 'nsrjb -j libname -I -S 40 -f /dev/rmt/5ubn' to try to force usage
of the available drive.
It just sat there. Did nothing. Nothing at all.
I finally had to kill off the nsrjb (kill -9).

I tried to just load a tape into 5ubn using nwadmin, but just got a
warning that 4ubn was disabled (say what??).

I tried setting 4ubn to Service Mode instead of Disabled, but then it
thought it was ejecting tape (the drive is empty). That finally failed and
I put it back to Disabled Mode.

I temporarily gave up on the restore until we can replace the drive, etc.
(fortunately with client's approval).
Now I look at it an hour later, and it's reading from a tape (cloning) in
5ubn, the previously empty drive.

Arggggghhh!  :-\

Any idea how to force the usage of a particular drive, such as in this
kind of situation? I can understand (somewhat) Networker thinking there
was a tape in 4ubn if that had been the last valid action it tried to take
with that drive, but it wasn't. That drive was disabled days ago, the
library reset (nsrjb -HE, etc.), Networker stopped/restarted more than
once and all has been OK until now.

Thanks.