Networker

[Networker] Bar Code reader on drive?

2009-12-07 17:21:55
Subject: [Networker] Bar Code reader on drive?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:17:10 -0500
Hi,

We have an old Quantum tape library with four SDLT600 drives. This is running on a RH Linux snode. I notice that when I run the loaderinfo command as:

/usr/sbin/loaderinfo -f /dev/sg#

it reports "Bar Code Reader: No" for drive 1 of 4, but "Yes" when I run the command against the other three drives. Otherwise, the values reported from the command are all the same between the drives, and all drives have the same firmware.

I'm not sure what this value really implies, anyway, given that the picker is the hardware that would have a bar code reader and not the drive, correct? When I run loaderinfo against the picker device, it reports 'Yes' for this value.

Drive 1 of 4 functions fine, with or without bar codes tapes, so the fact that this setting is 'No' doesn't seem to be causing it any problems.

But anyone know why this would report 'No' and how to set it to 'Yes'?
Maybe it should be 'No' and the others should also be 'No'?

I notice on our STK LTO-3 tape library, however, that all the drives report 'No', including the medium changer, too! But, again, everything functions just fine on there.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair