Networker

[Networker] Renaming a NW server

2009-12-02 16:10:29
Subject: [Networker] Renaming a NW server
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:59:11 -0500
So I have this situation. I have a 7.4.2 server; it's also a file server,
at one of my sites. We are replacing this box with a new one. This new box
is (currently) named "execfil001". What's going to happen (in 3 days, I am
told ...) is that we will restore all files from the NW server (NT8) over
to (execfil001). Then, we will rename (NT8) to something else, and rename
"execfil001" to NT8 (to keep links and drive mappings correct).

So:

1. Will my NW server continue to work at all, if I rename it to something
else? I know clients work if you rename them, will the server?

2. What then becomes of NT8 (from the NW perspective)? Obviously, the
client ID has changed, from what NW thinks it is. And any backups that
include that machine won't work.

How do I resolve this situation? It would be nice to keep all the old
media history, if I can. But I won't be able to run a "nsrck -L7", will I?
It will think the index tape is from a completely different server, won't
it? Or will it work, since the internal client ID for that machine hasn't
changed?

Any help GREATLY appreciated

(I thought we were going to keep NT8 as a backup server out there, and
just re-point links and mappings to it. Turns out, that is not the case
... :-( )