Networker

Re: [Networker] Technical advisory out today about Windows 2008 disaster recovery

2009-11-24 09:23:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Technical advisory out today about Windows 2008 disaster recovery
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:21:17 -0500
Yup, that's what it is saying. Microsoft has clarified that it is not possible to do a disaster recovery to a running system on any windows platform. So the documented DR procedure is not supported by Microsoft for Windows 2008. As I've talked with people who are running NetBackup and TSM and they are all having the same problems with BMR/DR and Windows 2008 -- I have to accept that Microsoft caught the backup/recovery industry by surprise with that clarification.

Bottom line -- NetWorker cannot do DR for Windows 2008 right now. I'm sure EMC is working hard on changing that, but I haven't heard anything that can be stated in public about that work.

Frank