Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing Security on Files/Folders Causes Large Backups

2009-11-19 10:39:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing Security on Files/Folders Causes Large Backups
From: "Ryan, Dan" <DRyan AT MEDPLUS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:37:18 -0500
That should be normal.   You are changing the security descriptors of a
file, which will cause when Networker reads the file it will mark it to
be backed up.   Now, I'm assuming you are using NTFS and this is
Windows, but if you used groups and setup and just changed users within
those groups, you would be able to perform security changes, but would
not have any impact to backups, unless you change the permissions of the
group or add a new group of permissions.

For example, if Group A has read access and Group B has read write and
you change the members of a group and leave the permissions, your backup
application, will not backup the data, because the security descriptors
have not changed.  Now if you change Group A to be able to have full
control, then security descriptors will change because the permissions
have changed, thus all of the data on that file/folder will change and
will be backed up.  I could be totally wrong, but I would look into how
you are modifying permissions and try to use access groups that fit your
security roles, set your permissions with these roles, and then adding
and removing people from the groups will have no affect on the backups.

Dan Ryan
MedPlus, A Quest Diagnostics Company | Data Backup and Storage
Administrator | 4690 Parkway Drive | Mason, OH 45040 USA | phone
+1.513.204.2756 | mobile +1.513.225.6065 | dryan AT MedPlus DOT com |
www.MedPlus.com

Please think about resource conservation before you print this message