Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing Security on Files/Folders Causes Large Backups

2009-11-18 15:27:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing Security on Files/Folders Causes Large Backups
From: Chester Martin <cmartin AT SPP DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:23:56 -0600
Not sure if you're administering permissions to files/folders, by users
or groups, but if you're making that many changes to permissions and
it's causing backup problems here's what I'd do.

Looking at it from a windows perspective...
Say if you had a folder called "folder1", create active directory groups
called "folder1-readonly"and "folder1-write" and assign those
permissions to the folder (catch22 is that applying the group
permissions to the folders the 1st time will reset the archive bit, just
do it on the day the full backup runs, before the backup).  Then just
add users into the groups through active directory, once you've
initially applied the permissions to the folders you won't have to mess
with them again.  Just administer the group membership through AD.