Networker

[Networker] New LTO4 library doesn't recognize tapes in drive ..

2009-11-12 08:57:02
Subject: [Networker] New LTO4 library doesn't recognize tapes in drive ..
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:56:07 -0500
Last night I replaced my SDLT-600 drives with new LTO4 drives. And now I'm
having problems. When I tell Networker to label a tape, it grabs a tape;
loads a tape; tries to label a tape, then complains that there is no tape
in the drive. I have verified that physically, a tape moves from a slot,
into the drive. But Networker thinks there isn't a tape there. It worked
once or twice. But now it won't even inventory the tapes that got
successfully labeled.

>nsrjb -vvvvv -j %OverlandLib% -L -b"PHACLONE"  -S2 1127155309
setting verbosity level to `5'
42666:nsrjb: initiate_jbox_rap_command: jb_res attrlist:
                     command: \
nsrjb -vvvvv -j [email protected] -L -bPHACLONE -S2 1127155309;
                        name: [email protected];
                   operation: Label;
       operation report mode: verbose5;
          operation response: prompt;
             operation slots: 2;
          operation template: 1127155309;
       operation volume pool: PHACLONE;
                      source: nsrjb;
42667:nsrjb: initiate_jbox_rap_command: op_stat attrlist:
                     command: \
nsrjb -vvvvv -j [email protected] -L -bPHACLONE -S2 1127155309;
                        name: [email protected];
                        type: NSR operation status;
Info: Preparing to load volume `-' from slot 2 into device `\\.\Tape1'.
Info: Loading volume `-' from slot `2' into device `\\.\Tape1'.
Info: Load sleep for 5 seconds.
Info: Performing operation `Verify label' on device `\\.\Tape1'.
Info: Operation `Verify label' in progress on device `\\.\Tape1'
Info: Performing operation `Eject' on device `\\.\Tape1'.
Error: Device/media error: read open error: command completed successfully
(drive status is There is not a tape in the drive)
Info: Operation `Eject' in progress on device `\\.\Tape1'
Info: Preparing to unload volume `-' from device `\\.\Tape1' to slot 2.
Info: Unloading volume `-' from device `\\.\Tape1' to slot 2.
Info: Unload sleep for 5 seconds.
Error: Device/media error: read open error: command completed successfully
(drive status is There is not a tape in the drive)
39077:nsrjb: error, Jukebox command terminated with errors.

The labeling worked once or twice. But Networker won't now inventory the
tape it made, giving the same error:

C:\PHA Scripts>nsrjb -vvvvv -j %OverlandLib%  -I -S3
setting verbosity level to `5'
42666:nsrjb: initiate_jbox_rap_command: jb_res attrlist:
                     command: nsrjb -vvvvv -j [email protected] -I
-S3;
                        name: [email protected];
                   operation: Inventory;
       operation report mode: verbose5;
             operation slots: 3;
                      source: nsrjb;
42667:nsrjb: initiate_jbox_rap_command: op_stat attrlist:
                     command: nsrjb -vvvvv -j [email protected] -I
-S3;
                        name: [email protected];
                        type: NSR operation status;
Info: Preparing to load volume `1127155310' from slot 3 into device
`\\.\Tape5'.
Info: Loading volume `1127155310' from slot `3' into device `\\.\Tape5'.
Info: Load sleep for 5 seconds.
Info: Performing operation `Verify label' on device `\\.\Tape5'.
Info: Operation `Verify label' in progress on device `\\.\Tape5'
Info: Cannot read the current volume label: read open error: command
completed successfully (drive status is There is not a tape i
n the drive)
Info: Performing operation `Eject' on device `\\.\Tape5'.
Info: Operation `Eject' in progress on device `\\.\Tape5'
Info: Preparing to unload volume `1127155310' from device `\\.\Tape5' to
slot 3.
Info: Unloading volume `1127155310' from device `\\.\Tape5' to slot 3.
Info: Unload sleep for 5 seconds.
Error: Jukebox `[email protected]' failed to perform an inventory.
Error: Jukebox `[email protected]' failed to perform an inventory.
39077:nsrjb: error, Jukebox command terminated with errors.

I have the tech from the tape company (Overland) here now, running a
hardware diagnostic, to rule out physical problems before I call EMC. The
drives pass the Library and Tape Tools testing, for reading and writing,
so I expect that it will pass these diagnostics, too. The tech is certain
it's a software issue with Networker (and he's probably right); he feels
it's a timing issue. Since I can't call EMC until he's done his tests, I
figured I'd ask if anyone here has any suggestions. I don't see anything
out of the ordinary in the timing settings of the library; they are the
same settings as the libraries at my other sites (however, those are SCSI
libraries, and this is a fiber unit).

It's an Overlan 4042, with a fiber connection for the library. There are 8
LTO4 drives. each of which has it's own fiber connection. (that's new -
the SDLT-600 drives used SCSI internally to the library; they didn't each
have their own fiber connection).

Thoughts? The fact that I can run tape testing software from the server,
and have the drive pass read/write tests tells me that the OS is capable
of accessing the library and drives correctly. But Networker doesn't seem
to be.

Thanks

--
Michael Leone