Networker

[Networker] LTO4 encryption key management

2009-11-11 23:44:32
Subject: [Networker] LTO4 encryption key management
From: "Gold, Evan" <EGold AT ASSUREDGUARANTY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:30:52 -0500
Hello All,

I currently run LTO2 , Legato 7.5.1 on windows and want to upgrade to LTO4.
With LTO4 I would stop using legato software encryption (which is slow and
cannot encrypt NDMP), and start using LTO4 hardware encryption.
I need to encrypt NDMP backups.

I am trying to find out the best way to manage LTO4 encryption keys using
legato 7.5.1.

I want the ability to restore my LTO4 encrypted tapes at a remote site using
only legato and a stand alone LTO4 tape drive.
Does anyone know if that is possible?

I have spoken to library vendors and each of those claims I must have their
jukebox to perform restores.
I do not want to buy a second library just for disaster recovery offsite.

What are other people doing for this?

Will Legato be able to handle the key management in a future release?

I heard Netbackup can handle the key management now, but legato cannot.

Thank you.

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. Any
are not the intended recipient (or an employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient), you may not copy or deliver this
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. AG