Networker

Re: [Networker] adv_file event error "Failed to fetch the saveset structure..."

2009-11-11 07:16:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] adv_file event error "Failed to fetch the saveset structure..."
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:15:15 -0500
On 11/10/09 6:53 PM, Matthew Huff wrote:
It may be on the ftp site, but more likely you have to open up a trouble ticket
to get the patches. And to call them patches is an generous statement. Usually
it's a tar/zip file with a bunch of binaries that you have to copy by hand to
the correct location and set the correct acl (or write a script to do so).

Is it me or does it seem that 7.4/7.5 need a lot more one-off patches than any
two releases legato has ever had? And I started using Legato 17 years ago, so
it's been a while.  EMC really needs to either come up with a more frequent
release schedule (7.4.6/7.5.2 anyone) or develop a one-off patch subsystem to
help deploy these patches.

The individual hotfixes are as you say, but these point releases are full packages, just like the packages you download from powerlink.

I can't say how things were before 7.3.2 because that's when I took over the backup service here -- but I know there has never been a time in my 2.5 years that I have not had at least one issue open with EMC. That's unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned. This backup/recover stuff is critical and to have a product with this many warts is a nightmare.

Especially troubling to me is that 7.4 and 7.5 have all these problems and instead of fixing them, EMC is off developing 7.6 -- now, it may have some really nice features -- but if the core is still broken ... why bother??? And how many fixes will be developed for 7.4 and 7.5 that will have to be re-reported and re-developed for 7.6 -- it has been happening ever since EMC started this overlapping cycle. Look at LGTsc09318 -- I worked with EMC to figure out and fix that issue on 7.3.3 (From September 2007 to October 2008) and then had to wait for EMC to port it to 7.3.4, 7.4.2, 7.4.3, 7.4.4 -- it's finally in 7.4.5. As far as I know it still is not in the 7.5 code.

Frank