Networker

Re: [Networker] Recycled tapes

2009-11-10 17:40:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recycled tapes
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:38:53 +1100
On 11/11/2009, at 09:13 , Jen Peters wrote:

> I have tapes that I set to expire on 10/9/09 as they are set to backup for
> 90 days.  After 90 days, the tapes should be recycled or reused.  What
> scripts or settings control this?  I recently updated to ver 7.5.1 and my
> tapes are not being put back into the usable pool.

Are you factoring in saveset dependencies?

Based on previous similar questions that are posed onto this list periodically
by others, my first take is that saveset dependencies are preventing your media
from becoming recyclable when you're expecting, but NetWorker is behaving as
designed (and as appropriate).

As an example, if on one of those volumes you've got a full backup which is
outside its retention period, but you've got another saveset somewhere (e.g.,
an incremental) which depends on the full for complete filesystem/data
recovery, NetWorker won't recycle the full because the incremental is not yet
outside its retention period.

NetWorker builds up "dependency chains", for want of a better term, and (unless
you only do fulls), savesets typically only become recyclable when all the
savesets in the chain are recyclable.

I.e., instead of considering discrete/individual backups of say:

full            -> Day 1
incr            -> Day 2
incr            -> Day 3
incr            -> Day 4
incr            -> Day 5

NetWorker's backups should be more considered along the lines of:

full <- incr <- incr <- incr <- incr

Where "X <- Y" should be interpreted as "Y depends on X for complete recovery".

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com