Networker

[Networker] Advice on number of pools

2009-11-10 13:07:18
Subject: [Networker] Advice on number of pools
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:05:54 -0500
Currently, I have 2 libraries - 4 drives in a SDLT-320 and 4 drives in a
SDLT-600. And I have 2 main pools - CLONE and NOT-CLONE. :-) The NOT-CLONE
are used in the SDLT-320, and the CLONE in the other. This has worked out
well for us.

Now, I am replacing the 2 libraries  with a single library of 8 LTO-4
drives. (w00t!)

So some advice - should I:

1. continue using these same 2 pools (allocating 4 drives to each)
2. continue using the same 2 pools, but assigning them to all 8 drives
3. should I have just 1 pool, with all 8 drives?

With #1, some of the drives may be idle while they wait for the cloning to
begin, for example.
With #2, it is possible that I could have 6 drives all writing to the
NOT-CLONE pool (the CLONE jobs take longer, as they are larger, and have
to write to AFTD first), while  jobs in the CLONE pool wait for an
available drive.
With #3, I imagine that all 8 drives will (or can) be used at once. And it
might use a smaller number of tapes. Might make restoring or scanning
longer, tho.

I think I am leaning toward #3.

Thoughts/advice, anyone?

--