Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking requests to back up new clients

2009-11-06 22:02:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking requests to back up new clients
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:57:35 +1100
Hi Stan,

On 07/11/2009, at 08:26 , STANLEY R. HORWITZ wrote:

I am wondering if anyone has any good idea on how to track requests to
back up new servers. What is your process for ensuring that such
requests do not get swept under the rug and forgotten about? If anyone
has any good ideas and a process that your organization follows,
please consider volunteering to do a presentation on it at our next
EMC NetWorker Users Group meeting, which is tentatively set for New
York City on
January 9th. Even if you are not able to do a presentation on this
topic, I sure would like to hear your ideas.

I think the key to this is that backup administrators must be part of the change control process within an organisation (I've previously blogged relating to this - http://bit.ly/4bRVGv). Without that, you'll always run risks of having new systems or changes to systems unprotected.

I don't think there's any other way of properly managing this.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com