Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-06 12:56:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 12:50:09 -0500
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
11/04/2009 05:38:54 PM:

> > As I mentioned once before, the last time I used nsrck -L7 was years
ago
> > in conjunction with mmrecov as per document legato27970, when copying
our
> > SBU setup from an old server to a new one, so my memory is a bit
hazy...
> > and these types of procedures are well outside what I do day to day.
>
> We keep a relatively short browse and recovery period for a lot of our
> backups, so I've used nsrck -L7 a bunch over the years.  It's very
handy,
> which is why I'm quite frustrated with the current problems I'm having
> with nsrck -L7 under 7.4.x.

So ... if your browse/retention time is 2 months; and you need a recover
from a tape made 6 months ago (i.e., after the browse and retention have
expired); you do a "nsrck -L7" on a tape made 6 months ago that has the
index on it? And that just adds in the indexes from 6 months ago (allowing
you to browse), and has no effect on any information currently in the
index? The index from 6 months ago is just integrated back into the
current index, it does not replace the current index?