Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 17:52:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:48:24 -0600
> Tim Mooney

> > Can nsrck -L7 be used to recover the indexes from a tape that was
written
> > with an earlier 'major' version, to a later server? For example,
between

> I believe you can.  I have a vague recollection of having done this at
> least once when we were on 7.1.x, but that's been a long time now so I
> could just be imagining it.

I have a 7.5.1 test server handy. I might try it on that system. The tapes
in question were written with either 6.1 or 7.2, so it should be a valid
test.

> We keep a relatively short browse and recovery period for a lot of our
> backups, so I've used nsrck -L7 a bunch over the years.  It's very
handy,
> which is why I'm quite frustrated with the current problems I'm having
> with nsrck -L7 under 7.4.x.

Hmmm... maybe I should use a < 7.4* system to test... ?

> nsrck -L7 works like any other recover operation, so if you have a
jukebox
> a tape will be loaded automatically.  If you don't, you'll get a
"waiting
> for ..." message and you'll be expected to load the volume manually and
> then mount it using nsrmm.

More I recall, that's what I was thinking.

> > That seems obvious, but what if the index it wants has more
> > than one instance, on more than one volume? Do I then just nsrmm -d
the
> > volumes I don't have?
>
> You could, or mark those volumes as suspect, etc.

Thanks - We'll have to see what transpires but I'm trying to do some
preliminary duck-arranging at any rate... :-)