Networker

Re: [Networker] DR qeustions

2009-10-30 15:39:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] DR qeustions
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 06:35:34 +1100
On 30/10/2009, at 11:18 , Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: [Networker] DR qeustions, Matthew Powell said (at 10:25am on...:

I have a Networker 7.4 environment with only 1 backup server. I was
curious if I set up a Storage Node would that be able to take over for the primary if I have a hardware failure on the primary server? Or would
it be easier just to set up another backup server that points to the
same disk space? Thanks for your time.

Since no one else has responded, I'll take a stab at this.  If others
respond and contradict anything I say, they're right and I'm wrong. ;-)

There's no easy way to promote a storage node to be a full NetWorker
server. You would have to go through exactly the same procedure (the full DR procedure) to get your NetWorker server back, whether you're starting with a box that's already a storage node or you're just starting with some
random server.

While Conrad has already responded as well mentioning Autostart, I thought I'd give a brief description of another scenario.

In another job I was tasked with delivering an "auto-failover" option between the backup server and the storage node, and Autostart/LAAM/ whatever it was called at the time wasn't going to fly. There were some advantages to the setup in question that allowed an automatic failover – library connected to and controlled by storage node, SAN connected NetWorker drive, etc.

The process was based on the assumption of the backup server kicking the bucket in a way that was not going to be easily repaired near end of much, in which case full backups had to proceed. So, the script/ utility in question, when run on the storage node and having done exhaustive "are you really really sure you want to go ahead and do this?" would:

(-) Have had NetWorker server+storage node+client installed previously, but just the NetWorker server option set for manual start (Windows) (-) Have clients already configured to accept server and storage node as valid servers

(a) Stop NetWorker on the storage node
(b) Drop the storage node NetWorker drive LUN
(c) Take the NetWorker server NetWorker drive LUN from the storage array
(d) Manually edit the res database:
        - Adjusting the library resource name from "rd=X" to just X
        - Modifying the storage node attribute for all hosts
        - Disable the ADV_FILE devices normally on the backup server
        - Update a bunch of custom groups that were server name specific
(e) Start NetWorker
(f) Reset/Reinventory the library
(g) Restart groups that had been in operation

I'm working off about a 4 year old memory here, so there's probably some changes. The point is, it worked. It's not for the faint of heart though, and was only possible in a very specific sort of configuration too.

The lesson: If Autostart now does properly support clustering and storage node promotion (which I seem to have recalled reading somewhere myself), then it's probably a good starting point. However, as Tim mentioned, you'll then loose any load spread that you would get by no longer having both hosts.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com