Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup of Oracle Database with Networker: Missing Files ?

2009-10-30 13:19:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup of Oracle Database with Networker: Missing Files ?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:11:05 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Backup of Oracle Database with Networker: Missing...:

performing a standard file system backup with networker,
one could use a directive called "standard UNIX directive".
One of the entries in this directive is to skip files named "core".
No problem - noone wants coredumps saved.

But yesterday i saw some directories under ORACLE_HOME named "core".
As expected, these are NOT saved with networker.

I ran into this same issue years ago with the statistical suite SAS.  That
package also includes a directory named core, and NetWorker dutifully
skips it on UNIX & Linux.

It's hard to know who's really at fault here.  Software vendors that
purport to support UNIX probably shouldn't be using the name "core" for
any of their filesystem objects, but then again virtually every system
cron job I've ever seen that's responsible for cleaning up old core files
is smart enough to include the

        -type f

in the find statement that locates them, so vendors in reality should be
safe in using that name for directories, sockets, etc.  It's only NetWorker
directives that can't distinguish between a core file and some other type of
filesystem object named core.

It would be nice if the directive syntax were enhanced to allow you to
specify object type as well as name, but until that happens, I think your
best bet is to just create your own "<YOUR SITE NAME HERE> UNIX directive"
that doesn't include core in the list of things to skip, and apply that
directive to any client where it's appropriate.

Here is my Question: Are these directories essential for networker
and worth saving? Is this a bug in networker?

Do you mean are these directories essential for Oracle?  They're certainly
not essential for NetWorker, but they might be important for Oracle.
However, everything you list very likely wasn't a *generated* file, it's
something that you have as part of an install image somewhere, so if you
needed to you could just reinstall.

Is it a bug in NetWorker?  No, I don't think so.  It's trying to be
helpful by providing a default configuration (which you could easily
override) out of the box that makes the most sense for most environments.
One could argue that there's a bug in that you can't specify that you
only skip core files and not other things named core, but considering how
hard it is to get EMC to consider other bigger issues as bugs, I don't
think I would waste my time arguing that this is a bug.

Note that a number of systems these days generate core files with a pid
appended (if they generate core files at all), so one could also argue
that the directive should be updated to include core.[1-9][0-9]* or
something similar.  I also wouldn't really bother with that argument.  ;-)

Best bet: use a custom directive that doesn't skip things named core for
that client.

At least you found out about this in advance.  :-)

These directories are (in Oracle 10g):
bash-3.0RACLE_HOME $ find . -name core
./oc4j/j2ee/oc4j_applications/applications/isqlplus/isqlplus/WEB-
INF/classes/oracle/sqlplus/iplus/core
./sysman/admin/emdrep/sql/core
./sysman/patches/5557962/files/sysman/admin/emdrep/sql/core
./.patch_storage/5557962_Nov_9_2006_23_23_06/backup/sysman/admin/emdrep/sql/core
./.patch_storage/5557962_Nov_9_2006_23_23_06/original_patch/files/sysman/admin/emdrep/s
ql/core
./.patch_storage/5557962_Nov_9_2006_23_23_06/files/sysman/admin/emdrep/sql/core

Tim
edu