Networker

Re: [Networker] User file deletions between incrementals

2009-10-29 18:29:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] User file deletions between incrementals
From: Mathew Harvest <Mathew.HARVEST AT COMMUNITIES.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:25:02 +1000

On >Behalf Of Preston de Guise
>Sent: Friday, 30 October 2009 7:25 AM
>To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: [Networker] User file deletions between incrementals
>
>On 30/10/2009, at 07:59 , George Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Dag Nygren wrote:
.
.
>> status time updated. NW incrementals back up files based on change
>> of file status time since the last incremental. Fulls of course get
>> everything.
>
>Actually, that's not quite the reason in NetWorker.
>
>In NetWorker it was a "by choice" design feature - only the directory
>had changed, not the files in the directory, so only the directory got

>backed up.
>
>This was known to be confusing for some time, and in NetWorker 7.5
>they introduced the client attribute "Backup renamed directives" ...
>it's unchecked/disabled by default, but when checked/enabled, if a
>directory is moved or renamed, then NetWorker will backup the contents

>as well as the directory.
>
>The old behaviour was for Windows as well as Unix, as is the above
>change.

The only problem with this behaviour is that if a directory gets
renamed/moved and only the directory gets backed up/no record of its
containing files, when you perform a restore of that directory only
files that have changed will be recovered, not the entire directory, to
recover the files that have not changed you have to browse to a time
before the rename find them in the old directory name (this behaviour is
present in windows not sure about other OS's, but I suspect so) - but as
Preston said there is a workaround in 7.5.1, and they were supposed to
be completely re-writing the file broker for 8.0 but who knows when that
will arrive - perhaps its in the upcoming 7.6 release ...

>Cheers,
>
>Preston.
>--
>Preston de Guise

"Queensland celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2009. Check out
what's on today at www.q150.qld.gov.au."

********************************* DISCLAIMER
*********************************

The information contained in the above e-mail message or messages
(which includes any attachments) is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended only for the use of the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee any form of
disclosure, copying, modification, distribution or any action taken
or omitted in reliance on the information is unauthorised. Opinions
contained in the message(s) do not necessarily reflect the opinions
of the Queensland Government and its authorities. If you received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete it from your computer system network.