Networker

Re: [Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?

2009-10-23 10:14:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:10:31 -0400
> Michael, I think you're looking in the wrong book, try the Admin
> Guide instead of the DR Guide.  In the 7.4.x Admin Guide, there's a
> 3-page section in Appendix D that discusses doing authoritative and
> non-authoritative  restores of AD.  I'm 95% sure it's in the 7.3
> Guide too, but the steps are really NW version independent.

I will look there, thanks! Sorry, I've been sick the last few days. You
would think that an AD restore would be in the D/R guide, as the most
common reason for that type of restore is a D/R situation .. oh, well ...

> I've done them in test environments without a problem (then again,
> everything always works in test  [Rolling Eyes] ), never done it
> myself in a live environment, but I've been tertiarily involved at a
> 3000 user site where we had to do one, and it went fine.  I'd
> recommend opening a ticket with both EMC and MS beforehand if
that'sfeasible.

Thanks, I'm just preparing for an AD version upgrade we will be doing. In
case that upgrade goes bad, I need to know how to roll it back. And I'm
told I would need to do a forest recovery. And that involves an
authoratative restore of AD. Personally, I *really* hope to *never* have
to do that, but best to be prepared.