Networker

[Networker] nsrim "Only one browsable Full exists" messages

2009-10-16 18:10:28
Subject: [Networker] nsrim "Only one browsable Full exists" messages
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 17:02:25 -0500
All-

There was a thread started by Roberta Gold on September 4th with a subject
of "7.4.5 nsrck hangs".  Most of the people that replied in that thread
were interested in the main issue, which was nsrck hanging on client
indexes for deleted clients.

One of the things that was mentioned in the thread, though, was the newish
messages from nsrim about

69940:nsrim: Only one browsable Full exists for saveset 2908640021. Its browse
period is equal to retention period.
69940:nsrim: Only one browsable Full exists for saveset 2154875001. Its browse
period is equal to retention period.

etc.

I can't find any other mention in the archives of people discussing this
issue.

We're getting megabytes of these nsrim messages and I've become pretty
irritated with them.  I do have calls open with EMC about these messages
and other new spew from 7.4.x, but I'm hoping others here have some
insight into the messages.

Specifically

- Can anyone explain *why* we're seeing these messages?  Because we have
  lots and lots of fulls that have not been cloned?  Or is it something
  else that I'm just not understanding.

- Does anyone know why this new warning was added to NetWorker 7.4.5?
  Seems like mostly useless (and voluminous) spew that just serves to
  obscure any messages that are important enough that we do want to see
  them.

- Are there others that find the warnings to be so useless as to be
  detrimental?

Any input appreciated,

Tim
edu