Networker

Re: [Networker] User/Group for NMC?

2009-10-16 06:48:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] User/Group for NMC?
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 06:42:26 -0400
On 10/15/09 6:52 PM, George Sinclair wrote:
We're preparing to install the NMC software. This will be installed on the primary backup server. The installation documentation mentions:

"Specify a User/Group with limited privileges that NMC will use to run the web server. This must be a non-root user. For example, Linux operating systems have a default user/group [nobody/nobody] that can be used."

Any recommendations or warnings about this?

Just make up any user/group name combination that doesn't already exist and add to /etc/passwd and group files? What about NIS? Does that matter?

I installed on Linux, so I used the defaults. I used the defaults when I ran it on Solaris too. What OS are you installing on?