Networker

Re: [Networker] Sun Hardware

2009-10-15 11:02:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sun Hardware
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:58:29 +0200
Joel Fisher wrote:
Hey Yaron...  apparently I'm unable to articulate my question properly.
Sorry for that.

I have a T5220(8x1.2Ghz/16GB) as my networker server and at
T2000(4x1.2Ghz/16GB) as a storage node.  I'm getting ready to replace my
tape environment, and I don't currently have anything that moves data as
quickly as the LTO-4 and LTO-5 drives do.  So, I'm just trying to figure
out if I need to add another storage node to the environment.

What you've mentioned about a 1.6 not being able to keep a compress
LTO-4 running or might have problems streaming an uncompressed LTO-5
obviously concerns me a bit.

Currently I have a staging process which runs at 2.6% according to top. It drives an LTO-3 drive at 60MBps (according to 'zpool status 1'). 2.6% on a 6-core (24 threads) T1000 is ~62% of a core. Extrapolating this gives ~95MBps for a 1Ghz T1 core. Extrapolating to a T1 @1.2Ghz (by GHz ratio) gives ~115MBps. I assume that your T5220 which has a T2 processor will be faster, maybe 125MBps. A 1.6Ghz T2 processor will be able to run at maybe 160MBps (this figure is extremely speculative). Considering:

      Native Compressed (assuming 1.5 compression)
LTO-3  80     120
LTO-4 120     180
LTO-5 180     270

So you can see why I suspect that a compressed LTO-4 is too much for 1.6Ghz T2 core.

Is anyone out there using one of these servers with LTO-4 drives?  What
has been your experience?

In case it matters.  Currently running 7.4.4 soon will be running 7.5.1.

Thank you for all the information lots of useful info there.

Joel

--

-- Yaron.