Networker

Re: [Networker] configure clients as administrators on NetWorker server

2009-10-14 07:30:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] configure clients as administrators on NetWorker server
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:26:22 +1100
On 14/10/2009, at 21:32 , Teresa Biehler wrote:

Security may not be the only factor when determining whether a software package is enterprise ready, but for a backup product, it should be very high on the list. The backup server essentially has access to ALL your
data.  Shouldn't that be the most secure system in your data center?

Yes it should be a highly secure server, but we're not talking about making every potential user of the system an administrator, just specific application administrators.

If I recall correctly these days the administration privilege is only required if the Oracle backups are to either have RMAN execute backup deletion commands or perform saveset bundling. If I'm right, remaining Oracle backup activities outside of this realm don't need administrator privileges. (I don't currently have an active Oracle VM to test this against.)

So for standard backup and recovery you can, in theory, get away with it. If I recall you'll have an even better success rate in situations where you're not using a recovery catalogue.

What I would encourage though (and as I suggested) is that if there's a security issue with NetWorker, it should be logged with EMC support and pushed hard for resolution.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com