Networker

Re: [Networker] Migration from netbackup

2009-10-12 14:40:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migration from netbackup
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 05:37:12 +1100
Chester,

On 13/10/2009, at 02:18 , Chester Martin wrote:

*         We have migrated our backup environment to networker from
netbackup.  Problem is, we have a few hundred tapes from the netbackup
environment that will not expire for at least 7 more years.  We do not
want to keep our existing netbackup environment for that long, so we
have to "convert" those tapes to networker.  Does anyone have any
pointers on how to get this done, whether it be through an outside
company or is there a way to do this through networker (something other
than restoring with netbackup and rebacking it up with networker)?

There's no way of doing it within NetWorker. There are some companies that do this sort of data transfer. Such companies are normally rated/ authorised for legally signing off against the data that has been recovered then written back out to tape that it was "really" backed up on the original date (if this is necessary for your environment/for your data).

(I'm only directly aware of AU/NZ services - the standard practice though is a per tape charge.)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com