Networker

[Networker]

2009-10-08 09:03:56
Subject: [Networker]
From: Keith Roy <keith.roy AT FAIRCHILDSEMI DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 08:59:22 -0400
Dave,
We migrated our production Sun V890 SCSI L700 SDLT tape library solution to
a Dell RHEL fiber connected VTL with dedupe back in March of this year and
have seen increased backup throughput, and a lower backup failure rate as a
result.  One of the ways we were able to control costs was to work with our
customers to adjust our retention policy from a month to two weeks for
operational backups, and also removed a bunch of unnecessary cloning.  The
most difficult part of the process for us was how to size the VTL ( make
sure you have room for growth / caching ) and having enough time to work out
any hardware / software bugs before going live.  It took a little bit of
time to get things smoothed out, so if you have the luxury of time, use it.
Once things were worked out though, backups have been less painful to manage
and tape swapping / management is greatly reduced, which may be a soft cost
savings depending how much time is spent managing tapes.

Here is a quick look at our solution.

Production:

Networker 7.4.4
Dell R905 8 CPU / 32 GB RAM Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
EMC DL3D 3000 VTL with about 34 TB used.

Development:

Networker storage node
Dell R905 8 CPU / 32 GB RAM  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
Quantum i500 with 4 LTO 4 drives

Our backup solution uses a private LAN to send data around and the
production and development backup systems are separated over two different
campus about a mile apart.

Good luck with your planning.

Keith Roy
---<>---