Networker

Re: [Networker] change tape media with (R) designation

2009-10-01 16:07:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] change tape media with (R) designation
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 21:03:33 +0100
David Magda wrote:

> Sure, though I think my end goal is mostly to have tapes recycled
> automatically. I would have thought that this occurred automatically as
> stuff expired, but that seems not to be the case for some reason.

This normally happens. You have not answered the earlier question of
whether any of your tapes are set to manual recycle mode. This could
stop them recycling automatically. The other thing that could stop them
being recycled automatically is if they need to be recycled to a
different pool and the recycle to/from flags are not set.

Otherwise they WILL recycle when required (and not before).

> Hmm. I think my main question would be why the the read-only mode is being
> enabled on volumes.

All full tapes (and some non-full tapes that haven't been written to for
a while) get marked as read-only. All this means is that no data will be
written to these tapes until after they have been recycled.