Networker

[Networker] SnapImage vs. PowerSnap

2009-09-25 15:04:41
Subject: [Networker] SnapImage vs. PowerSnap
From: psoni <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:00:53 -0400
Have you specified multiple instances for a same client with different savesets
?

How many files are there?

I think 48 hours is too long (onlu ~ 20 GB/hr for disk to disk backup).
ADv_file type devices are on 4Gbps SATA disks.

However I get about 60 mb/sec when I do disk to tape staging.

Just wanted to make sure that it is not the config problem before buying
SnapIamge/PowerSnap.

I also looked into the previous "SnapImage" posts and found that  people are
not really recommending it because of slow recovery process and other issues
with NDMP management.

What everyone else is usingr for a VERY LARGE ( MANY FILES ) filesystem backups
?

I went through the SnapIamge/Powersnap guides. Please see my notes below and
correct me if I am wrong.

[1] Powersnap uses EMC CLERiiON's snapshot & RLP (Reserved LUN Pool)  features.
So it's mandatory to create/manage private LUNs before running powersnap.Where
as SanpImage uses cache device/raw partition ( a LUN from CLARiiON) and won't
rely on CLARiiON's snapshot feature.

[2] Powersnap supports multiple point in time snapshots (for example, every
hour) As per CLARiiON, those are the instant point in time images.
SnapImage doesn't create point in time copies.

[3] Backup to tape using SnapImage is faster than Powersnap's snapshot backup
to tape.

[4] Recovery is better in PowerSanp.

[5] NDMP license (SnapImage) is more expensive.