Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker software distribution feature

2009-09-17 00:45:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker software distribution feature
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:40:47 +1000
On 17/09/2009, at 14:33 , Dag Nygren wrote:

onsdag 16 september 2009 01:02:24 skrev  Rick Brode:
You do not need to uninstall the client software first.  It will be
automatically uninstalled.

Windows 32-bit and 64-bit clients are supported. You will need to have
the NW software for both platforms loaded into the repository.

Well..

On a Linux server you are better off unistalling first. Otherwise you loose the
init script.

While this is normally the case, in my experience using the software distribution system it seems to properly handle a full uninstall/ reinstall on Linux rather than an upgrade. Certainly every time I've done it for a Linux client, the init script has been preserved. (FYI, I have some coverage of using the software distribution facility from the command line on my blog --- I feel this is still the most stable and reliable way of working with that component of NetWorker. You can find the article via http://bit.ly/41Q9so).

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com