Networker

[Networker] Recommended filesystem partition size

2009-09-03 02:29:27
Subject: [Networker] Recommended filesystem partition size
From: tammclaughlin <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 17:51:46 -0400
Hello,

I have a new backup system running NW 7.1 on top of RHEL 5.1 64 bit with 28TB
direct attached storage and I am unsure how best to partition up the space.

Currently we back up around 4TB /month which is based on a full every week with
incrementals every other day.

It was suggested to create one large ext3 partition (lvm) but I encountered an
error while trying to resize the existing partition as I was rushing out of
work tonight.  I had thought that it was not possible to create a large 28TB
partition on ext3 but what probably happened was that I was trying to resize
while the partition was still mounted.  So I will pop into work early tomorrow
and try to resize again.

However, is there any advantage is having smaller partition sizes?