Networker

Re: [Networker] reusing clone volumes without affecting original savesets

2009-08-25 19:31:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] reusing clone volumes without affecting original savesets
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:26:20 -0400
On 8/25/09 4:21 PM, Greg Etling wrote:
Davina Treiber wrote:

   If you recycle a volume, it will delete all save sets on the
   volume, whilst leaving any other clones of those save sets intact. If
   you mark a volume as recyclable, it will mark all save sets on the
   volume (plus any clones on other volumes) as recyclable. The second
   situation is the one you need to avoid.

The first one is not possible to do automatically, although I would imagine that one could simply relabel the volume manually to achieve that effect. The second one was previously the method that had been used, hence the confusion! I have tried setting the clone pool retention in the pool settings, but it appears to inherit the longer retention period of the pool from which the saveset was being cloned.

You stated that you are running 7.4.4 -- hence, I suspect that what you are seeing is the ssretent value which *will* remain at the longer value, what you will really care about is the clretent value of the copy of the ssid on the clone volume. Also, as you are using 7.4.4, be aware of LGTsc24106 which will set the volretent incorrectly when you have multiple copies of the same ssid with different clretent values (and is reported fixed in 7.4.5) -- I've been down that hole with both 7.4.3 and 7.4.4.

Davina Treiber wrote:

   Your best solution will be to change the retention of the clones as you
   clone them, then no manual operations will be required. There are a
   number of ways to do this.
One method I've noticed since this email is the nsrclone -y switch - It would appear that if running through a script that 'nsrclone -y "1 month" ' would suffice to set it for the clone without affecting the original?

That's the equivalent of what I do with my clones (although my clones are for offsite legal retentions and are much longer than the original copy's retention value).