Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker over SSH Tunnel?

2009-08-22 16:22:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker over SSH Tunnel?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:16:12 +0100
Anacreo wrote:
> EMC says it can't be done... but we're a crafty lot... has anyone been able
> to fire off an adhoc one time backup via an SSH remote tunnel?  I want to
> backup a remotely hosted web server to my corporate NetWorker client...
> I can SSH in but that's about it... my NetWorker server is NOT exposed to
> the internet, so my outbound is a NAT from our company's shared internet
> IP...
>
> Ideally a config that works from the SaveGroup interface would be great, but
> I can settle for a cron job like:
>
> ssh -L NNN:uschi1leg01:NNN sudoroot@remotenode "sudo savefs -s localhost
> arg1 arg2 arg3"
>
> I tried a few times to come up with nsrports/ssh port forwardings, but I
> feel like if someone got this to work they put many nights into it and I
> can't afford that amount of effort, so please share if you've gotten it to
> work, no matter how convoluted.

I don't think it is possible. I have used ssh tunnelling quite a bit,
and can see the following issues:

(1) There are a lot of ports that need forwarding
(2) Some ports would need forwarding in both directions
(3) An SSH tunnel requires that you connect to a port on the local
machine, whereas NetWorker connects to a remote machine. It might be
possible to do some sort of hack by messing with the hosts file, but
even if that was possible you would need to do this on both machines.

I wouldn't even want to attempt this. Perhaps you could rsync the data
if there is not too much needing backing up.