Networker

Re: [Networker] Two NW server question

2009-08-14 12:33:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Two NW server question
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:29:29 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Two NW server question, Teresa Biehler said (at...:

We're trying to set up a test environment and would like to use some
production clients as part of our test.  We do not, of course, want to
cause a problem with the production client's backups.

So, if we have a production NW server and a test NW server both backing
up the same NW client, will there be any issues with the incremental
backup dependencies?  For example, we do the following:

For UNIX & Linux, I'm pretty certain the answer is that this will not
cause problems.

For Windows, I think it depends.  Don't some versions of NetWorker pay
attention to the archive bit or the change journal or some such thing on
Windows?  I know there's a way to disable that behavior (an environment
variable set on the server, people have posted about it on the list
before), but if it's not disabled then interleaved backups would cause
problems for Windows hosts.

Tim
edu