Networker

[Networker] Out of band (OOB) backups for MSEXCH

2009-08-14 03:04:39
Subject: [Networker] Out of band (OOB) backups for MSEXCH
From: Freddy Enslin <freddye AT DEMANDDATA.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:50:05 +0200
Hi,

I have a client who wants to implement out of band backups for their
environment and they have two MS Exchange 2003 servers. Their Networker
server is on Solaris and they are running 7.5.1 and the exchange servers
are also running 7.5.1 and the Exchange Module is 5.1.3

1)      I added the OOB IP to the second NIC on the exchange server

2)      Added a hosts file entry on the exchange server for the backup
server oob interface

3)      Added the backup server oob name to the servers file on the
exchange server

4)      Restarted nsrexecd on the client

5)      Added hosts file entry for the client oob name on the backup
server

6)      Renamed the client resource in RES via NMC GUI with same client
id as original

7)      Added all the relevant names for the client in the aliases field

I keep getting an error saying that the oob name is not a client on AD
so I renamed the client back to its original name and changed the hosts
file entry on the backup server to point the oob IP to the exchange
server name, then I get an error that the probe was abandoned, which
usually happens if the entry in the servers file on the client is
incorrect. I did add the backup server oob name to the client resource
in the server Network Interface field. Anybody goot out of band backups
working on Exchange? Any input would be appreciated.

Freddy