Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server

2009-08-13 14:25:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:20:21 +0100
Greg Etling wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working to migrate a few clients from one Networker 7.4.4 server to
> another, and I'm trying to discern the quickest way to merge the index
> and db entries into the new server. The documents (DRG) are a little
> vague on this process, so I'd love if anyone could recommend. Leaving
> the old server operational is not an option as I need to convert it into
> a storage node, which will necessitate wiping out the /nsr folder and
> starting clean.
>
> Seems to me like the recommended procedure would be as follows:
>
> On old server, run 'savegrp -O -G GROUP' for all clients on to one tape.
> Insert tape into library for new server.
> Run scanner -i on new server to populate indexes.
>

> My question is: is this the most efficient way (or can I move index
> files and run some iteration of nsrck), and will this give me all the
> volume, saveset and expiration information?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your plan will not work at all.
You seem to be confusing the use of scanner and index backups.

The main thing wrong with your plan is that you cannot merge media
databases from two servers. savegrp -O will backup your indices, not the
 media database entries. The media database is backed up as part of the
bootstrap, but you cannot restore a bootstrap in such a way that it
merges it with the existing one.

The next thing wrong is that scanner is not used to restore index
backups. nsrck -L7 is used for this, but only if the media database
entries already exist for the save sets in question. In order to run
scanner, you need to run this on all the tapes containing backup data,
not just on the index backups.

There are three options for you here:

1) Run scanner on all the tapes containing backups for the clients in
question - a long and involved process.

2) Extract a report using mminfo which will show you what backups are on
each tape, then scan them on an individual basis if any restores are
required.

3) Engage EMC Professional Services to merge the two media databases. It
is rumoured that this is possible, but it is not common knowledge how
this is done, even within EMC. The main problem is when save set IDs
clash between the two servers.