Networker

[Networker] Adding disk as a backup target

2009-08-10 05:17:32
Subject: [Networker] Adding disk as a backup target
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:09:32 -0400
tbiehler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're in the process of replacing our tape library.  While we are doing
> this, we would like to add some sort of disk in front of the physical
> library.  So, if you are writing your backup to disk, I'm interested in
> the details:
>
> What are you doing?  Can you describe your environment?
>
> Are you using advanced file type devices or a VTL?  Why?
>
> What type of disk are you using?
>
> If you are using a VTL, which one are you using?
>
> What has your experience been (set-up, configuration, speed of backups,
> speed of restores)?
>
> What problems have you had (configuration, contention, bottlenecks,
> etc.)?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Teresa
>

> Teresa Biehler
> Information and Technology Services
> Rochester Institute of Technology
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including
> attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is
> addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
> action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
> than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in
> error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this
> information.

Just got back from vacation, sorry.

- We're using a *lot* of disk (about 64 TB raw, one RAID box, Tier 5 DBO) to
replace most of our tape as 'first tier' backup.

I've described the environment in detail on the list a few times, but the quick
summary is:  Sun Sparc server and SN, mostly Solaris clients with some Win
boxes of all levels (NT 4 to 2003 x64).  Only app module we're using is MS-SQL,
otherwise just stock filesystem stuff (though a lot of manual backups taking
place).

- We use adv_file due to VTL not existing at the time we brought the disk
online (Summer 2004).  Since Solaris 10 or ZFS did not exist either, the disks
are controlled by Veritas VxVM/VxFS so we can concat many little partitions
into really large ones (on average 10 TB per mount point).  This makes
upgrading the OS a nail-biting challenge too, as can be imagined.

- The disk in use today is a StorageTek Flex B280 using SATA disks (basically
similar to a Sun 6540 - two racks worth of 400 gig disks).  Would like to
replace this with a 6140 using 1 TB disks at some point, reducing the
space/heat requirement considerably.

- Setup was pretty good, though tedious (and the setup app has no security, but
this storage is EOL anyway).  Backup speed is currently constrained by the
server hardware (poor server is still a Sun E450, but I have a T2000 in the
same rack, with an upgrade pending).

- Its running good regardless, getting about 45-50 MB/s when streaming to an
LTO-2 FC drive (both clone and stage).  Everything - including the tape drives
- are all direct-connect FC.  Currently no issues with contention or
bottlenecks for the storage itself.  There's nothing to suggest that
fragmentation has taken place either - including on the mounts I use for
Incremental backups.

--TSK